Insomnia 56 debreif

The Tea Room. Grab a cuppa!

Moderator: [RS]Tefty

Insomnia 56 debreif

Postby [RS] Mad Dogg » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Ok. Here is the dirt.

Insomnia 56 was actually quite good! The whole thing was smaller in size than i55 at the Ricoh, but then again its the winter LAN and as such they always have a smaller amount of visitors.

The Staff I spoke to I found very friendly, helpful and polite and knowledgeable. A total contrast to staff at the previous iseries venues.

Food : expensive. Theres a wider choice, and will probably be wider again come the summer Lan. It was not cheap however. I did speak to a few people, they said that they managed to sneak take away from off site in (shhh!). Also, about a 5 min walk across the site there is Resort World that has loads of eateries that could be a good place to go.
There is also a new food ordering system similar to foodplay. The buzz on the mpuk forums suggests that the food is good, reasonably priced and arrives relatively quickly.

Booze: there is a Wetherspoon's! There was also a bar in the gaming hall, along with the Tuck Shop and a little foody bit.

Camping: as you can see in the pic, the hall is mostly empty! The security guard that let me in to take some pics said he'd had loads of people asking to come in and see it. I explained that in previous years Insomnia camping was outside, and he said that in his opinion there was lots of ground around the NEC that could be used for camping, and perhaps mpuk chose indoor only due to the time of year and the cold & wet weather.
Purely speculation on my part, but perhaps mpuk will go outside camping on the summer Lan? (I shall come back to this in a moment)

Some of the people I spoke to said the hotels were good - not as good as Telford where it was bang on site but better than Ricoh where you either had to drive or get a taxi. Some are closer than others, so booking well in advance is a priority.

ImageMD

The Gaming Hall - this year it was one big open hall, beautifully airconditioned, and DARK! It was 3pm and the Staff actually had the lights out!
The downside was the Lan shared the hall with the eSports stage, with only a large curtain partitioning the two. Looking at the forums, a lot of the gamers said the noise from this stage was loud enough to drown out the sound of their own headphones, intrusive and disruptive at times. Hopefully MPUK will look into this and move things around.

The event as a whole: apparently MPUK used just 3 of the halls for i56. They have plans in future to increase this to 7 halls, expanding the whole event to 3 times the size. A bigger iseries means more people, but the whole site is far able to cope with the foot traffic far better than any other site that I've attended for an iseries.

Summary - would I go to i58?

You know what? I fully expected to hate it, to be fully disappointed with how its grown and changed. In the end, I found myself open to it - the potential size of the venue and the professionalism of the site organisers makes me think that very possibly this is a good move. Sure, its changing very much and possibly away from our iseries experience... But that may not be a bad thing.

If any of you lot are up for going to i58, I'm in

MD

P's - just to Rogue it up a little. The missus "forgot to pay for a t shirt, and we got away without paying the £10 for the parking......
Former<Rogue> Leader
[RS] Mad Dogg
Helo God

Re: Insomnia 56 debreif

Postby [RS] Zorro » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:22 pm

well done MD
good job
[Rogue Scot]
I am top scot. Don't forget this!!! Image
[RS] Zorro
Lieutenant

Re: Insomnia 56 debreif