In The beginning..

The Tea Room. Grab a cuppa!

Moderator: [RS]Tefty

In The beginning..

Postby [RS] Mad Dogg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:13 pm

There are many moments that we share about the start and ealy days of Rogue Squad, but this is my story. It's told from my perspective, with my bias and this is how it all began.....

....in 2003, in the summer. Broadband finally arrived at my home, and at last I was Online. Up to this time I had suffered dial-up, and most of my deaths were from running into my own bullets, not the enemy's..

I discovered bf1942 and the mod Desert Combat, and I was I love....jets, tanks, choppers...sheer awesome. I spent a month or two bouncing around random servers, until one very late summers evening I happened upon a server where everyone was stood in a line on a runway.... " don't shoot! We're making a movie! If you want to be part of it, get in line and watch " the other players said.
So I stood in the line....and then watched a mig 29 come hurtling down at zero feet And roadkill all of us before flying off...I was amused and impressed. Who were these gaming masters I had happened upon? This was my introduction to BravoTwoZero

=B2Z=....oh wow. I was in awe of their skills. Names like Spookywillow, Helmut Twat, Agent Black, Junglist, Hound Dog....they seemed a friendly bunch, and after hanging out on their servers and TS I was encouraged to join, at about the same time as Sonic, Dub and Cell Three iirc.
Things were fun then. We played in the leagues on Clanbase. We did Ok I guess...the founder members would have all the toys ie jets, tanks etc, and us new boys would have to point the ground. They got the glory, we mopped up and it all worked well. We recruited a few new players, and us new boys tended to hang out a lot together...

Then one day we played a clan called =]GAF[=...Global Armed Forces.. (Tetras old clan!)...these guys were good. Seriously good. And we were really scared of what they could do.
Their home map was Omaha Beach, and for those of you that never played it, it was a simple map. Three flags, Beach flag, then Bluff Flag then Cliff flag, each higher than the rest. It was the mind of map that you could Zero your opponents on, and that was their game plan. They would fight a draw on their enemy's home map, and Zero you on theirs. Job done go home...
Or so they thought. One night before the match, myself, Inspector and Sonic (or Tefty? I think?) Went onto our server and had a mooch around. We learnt that you could drive a Jeep up the vertical cliff and straight onto the middle flag, bypassing the choke points and thus gaining the advantage. I knew in my soul that this as their gambit, and that I could break that gambit with some well placed landmines..
I went back to the B2Z founders and told them of what I learned. At first they didn't want to let me, a New Boy to have such a big decision over a map in a.clan match, but they had no other plan, and knew we could well be screwed...so they let me pick my players for that half of the map, and drill the plan into place.
And this is where, for me, the first beginnings of Rogue Squad began... Because when GAFs Jeep came hurtling over the Bluff and exploded on the landmines, when we walked away with a victory due to me not screwing up my plan.... I Knew I could do so much MORE.....

And things went back to normal afterwards. I was so frustrated at the Old Guard not wanting my input again on matches, and the group of us new boys grew disillusioned. By this time, Jonno and Zorro were with us having come via the Counter Strike route, and they fit out fledgling gang well.

Then one day the Game Changer landed

Battlefield 2
This was a whole new game, requiring a whole different skill set. Massive maps, powerful vehicles large scale tactical thinking...and the B2Z Old Guard found that their DC skill set didn't translate over to the new game, despite their egos telling them they were still gaming gods...
We played our first bf2 clan match, and again they didn't want to listen to any advice I had. We lost, and badly...in the post match fall out, they decided they didn't want to play matches anymore. Us young ones were angry - well we still wanted to play matches thank you! So it was at this point that it was agreed to split the clan into two groups - Delta squad comprising the "Core" members, and a Beta squad for the rest of us, the idea being that Beta could participate at match level when we wanted to. The name Beta Squad sucked, so pretty soon we changed it to =b2z= Rogue Squad....and thus the second seed was planted.

At this time, relations between the two squads deteriorated..Delta Squad or The Core as they chose to call themselves became increasingly difficult, excluding Rogue from any clan decisions and generally being surly and cold. As I recall now reading old emails, I actually worked pretty hard to keep the two Squads from fracturing the clan, and tried hard to keep =b2z= together.
We organized a few inter clan practice matches, in order to try and improve our play.. Delta vs Rogue. Plans were drawn up, players chosen....and Rogue won! Proud of our success and in the growing confidence of our fledgling gang, we organized a second match.

On the day, they creamed us. Not just beat us, but totally creamed us...every step we took, every plan we had, they were there waiting...it was like they had "cheated" and read our tactics....they claimed innocence, but it was clear to all of us that the Old Guard lied and chose to shore up their egos with a hollow victory.

And so, in a fit of anger, and with Dubs help on the 19th December 2006, I registered the domain name http://www.roguesquad.co.uk , and we set up a private forums, just for us. A place we could discuss tactics without having to think that the Core would be looking over our shoulder....we kept it quiet and private at first, with just a holding page. But at some point, they found it. I'll never know how, but they found it. And in that moment, Rogue Squad was birthed, set loose upon the gaming world, and the date was 27th January, 2006.

I moved quickly to secure everyone. The Core had been ruthless in their expulsion, and I chased down every last one of you. Some didnt want to join, some gave it all up entierly, but our band of merry warriors was alive, well and kicking hard!

Myself, Inspector, Sonic, Tefty, Dub. Zorro, Jonno; Nick Stone and Pitbully (who had been forced by =b2z= admin to change their names when joining us from D12 could be themselves again.) Flasher, Cell Three, EQ, Narziss, Final Decap, Snipergecko...they all joined us and helped create what we now know and love, my gaming home these past ten years - this motley crew of keyboard warriors..this gang of miscreant and ne'er do wells...

Rogue Squad
Former<Rogue> Leader
[RS] Mad Dogg
Helo God

Re: In The beginning..

Postby [RS]Narziss » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:43 pm

:thumbup: Nice one MD.
[flasht=350,90]http://zanski.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/sig.swf[/flash]
Narz, I removed your sig - was breaking forums since moving to new host. Will fix soon as I can x
[RS]Narziss
Major Spammer

Postby [RS]Tetra73 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:54 pm

I seem to remember [RS] had a friendly with =]GAF[= just after the split you kicked =]GAF[= ass then as well
Reality is an illusion created by the lack of alcohol
[RS]Tetra73
Lance Corporal

Postby [RS] Mad Dogg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:01 pm

[RS]Tetra73 wrote:I seem to remember [RS] had a friendly with =]GAF[= just after the split you kicked =]GAF[= ass then as well

and I seem to recall a certain =]GAF[=Mr White kicking my ass in the jets in that match too.

So i took care of him. I recruited him :P
Former<Rogue> Leader
[RS] Mad Dogg
Helo God

Postby [RS]Tetra73 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:03 pm

on another note I know I have only been a member of RS since bf3 but it feels like alot longer, maybe its because i've known you so long 10 years if you look at the forum memembers list im number 9 that registered on the forums.
[RS]Tetra73
Lance Corporal

Postby [RS]Tetra73 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:05 pm

[RS] Mad Dogg wrote:
[RS]Tetra73 wrote:I seem to remember [RS] had a friendly with =]GAF[= just after the split you kicked =]GAF[= ass then as well

and I seem to recall a certain =]GAF[=Mr White kicking my ass in the jets in that match too.

So i took care of him. I recruited him :P

you sure you took him from =]GAF[= I thought it was from [ECC]
[RS]Tetra73
Lance Corporal

Postby [RS] Ashwind » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:31 pm

I would have been in the match in BF1942 playing for =]GAF[=
[RS] Ashwind
Noob

Postby [RS] Dub » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Narz RS10 are you coming? Even if you just show for the day :P
[RS] Dub
Site Admin

Postby [RS] SonicDM » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Nice one MD, brought back some memories. You forget what a cunt Junglist was some times :)
[RS] SonicDM
Executive Officer

Postby [RS] Mad Dogg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:51 pm

[RS] SonicDM wrote:Nice one MD, brought back some memories. You forget what a cunt Junglist was some times :)

His cuntishness grew over time. Much like his waistline....
Former<Rogue> Leader
[RS] Mad Dogg
Helo God

Return to General Chat